The Back-to-School season is an ideal time for adults to contemplate which skills and new things they would like to learn this year. Dale Carnegie once said, “If you are not in the process of becoming the person you want to be, you are automatically engaged in becoming the person you don’t want to be.”
It’s quite common for professionals seeking promotions or to leapfrog into new industries, categories or positions by enrolling in a graduate school program.
During challenging economic times, many workers seek to improve skills to remain hired or find new job opportunities. In the recession of recent years, the percentage increase in the number of students age 25 and over has been larger than the percentage increase in the number of younger students, and this pattern is expected to continue.
Between 2000 and 2009, the enrollment of students under age 25 increased by 27 percent while the enrollment of students 25 and over rose 43 percent during the same period according to a study from the U.S. Department of Education’s National Center for Education or NCES. From 2010 to 2019, NCES projects a 9 percent rise in enrollments of students under 25, and a 23 percent rise in enrollments of students 25 and over. Demand for continuing education for adults aged 35 or older should grow by 7 percent until 2016.
Obtaining more education offers many benefits:
- Workers who earn graduate degrees improve promotion opportunities and can qualify for higher wages.
- Obtaining additional education can also increase one’s marketability in the job market.
- Continuing education enables people to develop new skills or knowledge required for a career transition.
- Obtaining more education can improve one’s image in family or social circles.
- Obtaining additional education or completing a college program can enhance self-image and have positive effects on other aspects of a person’s life.
Of course one of the best investments you can make in yourself is enrolling in a Dale Carnegie Course offered by Dale Carnegie Training of Central Indiana:
Dale Carnegie course for Effective Communications and Human Relations– You’ll learn how to:
- Strengthen interpersonal relationships, manage stress and handle fast-changing workplace conditions.
- Be better equipped to perform as a persuasive communicator, problem-solver and focused leader.
- Develop a take-charge attitude initiated with confidence and enthusiasm.
Dale Carnegie Leadership Training Course- You’ll learn how to develop the skills required to motivate a modern team through a leadership program that is less stressful than being forced to learn the skills on the job.
Dale Carnegie Sales Advantage course– You’ll learn every critical step of the tried and true Sales Advantage method. This is the only course that gives you the critical skills for making the sale, growing retention and increasing referrals because it is the only one that interweaves Dale Carnegie Training’s proven principles of success into every session.
This post is brought to you by the good folks at Dale Carnegie Training of Central Indiana, providers of professional development and management development courses and information in Indiana. We would love to connect with you on Facebook.
Photo Credit: cderme